Majestic Icebergs in Newfoundland

A great tourist attraction in Newfoundland in the early summer is the arrival of icebergs. The waters off our coast are often called “iceberg alley”. These chunks of ice break off from glaciers in the Arctic or around Greenland and drift south with the current. Only one tenth of the size of an iceberg is above water.

The icebergs are made of fresh water, not salt water, and in recent years companies have harvested the ice to bottle the water for sale or use it to make beer, wine and alcohol.

Some of the most famous icebergs off our shores are known because of the sinking of the Titanic in 1912. In 1905 an iceberg with the resemblance of the Virgin Mary arrived just outside the Narrows of St. John’s Harbour. The Archbishop of St. John’s at the time, Archbishop Michael Francis Howley, was most impressed with it and called it the “Crystal Lady”. To this day it is unknown whether it was a natural phenomenon or was it carved by foreign fishermen. In more recent times a large one floated by the community of Ferryland dwarfing the homes on shore. This scene was reproduced on a Canadian stamp. A smaller berg was even in the shape of our island of Newfoundland. Sometimes, to appreciate their massiveness, it is necessary to compare them to a passing boat. In the photos below,Frank Ryan (Sr. Rosemary’s brother) is seen on his boat close to an iceberg in Trinity Bay, NL.

It is dangerous to get too close to icebergs in boats as it is unknown when they will “calf”, meaning break apart, and form smaller icebergs which roll over and make dangerous waves in the process.

Climate change may lessen these wonderful sights in the future with the melting of Arctic ice and the warming of our oceans. But we hope to enjoy them for years to come as they continue to be such attractions not only to tourists but to local residents as well who are thrilled at their arrivals.

An incredible view of an iceberg floating off the coast of Newfoundland, along the Skerwink trail, on a beautiful sunny day
Big Iceberg seen floating on the Labrador Sea, Newfoundland
A huge iceberg at Fort Amherst, St John'sNewfoundland
Iceberg off the coast of Newfoundland
Frank Ryan on his boat in Trinity Bay
Majestic Iceberg floats in the harbor of St.John's, Newfoundland,

Una gran atracción turística de Terranova a principios de verano es la llegada de los icebergs. Las aguas de nuestra costa suelen llamarse “el callejón de los icebergs”. Estos trozos de hielo se desprenden de los glaciares del Ártico o de los alrededores de Groenlandia y derivan hacia el sur con la corriente. Sólo una décima parte del tamaño de un iceberg está por encima del agua.

Los icebergs están hechos de agua dulce, no salada, y en los últimos años las empresas han recogido el hielo para embotellar el agua y venderla o utilizarla para fabricar cerveza, vino y alcohol.

Algunos de los icebergs más famosos de nuestras costas son conocidos por el hundimiento del Titanic en 1912. En 1905, un iceberg con el parecido de la Virgen María llegó a las afueras de los Estrechos del puerto de San Juan. El arzobispo de St. John’s en aquel momento, el arzobispo Michael Francis Howley, quedó muy impresionado con él y lo llamó la “Dama de Cristal”. A día de hoy se desconoce si fue un fenómeno natural o si fue tallada por pescadores extranjeros. En tiempos más recientes, uno de gran tamaño flotaba junto a la comunidad de Ferryland empequeñeciendo las casas de la orilla. Esta escena se reprodujo en un sello canadiense. Un iceberg más pequeño tenía incluso la forma de nuestra isla de Terranova. A veces, para apreciar su masividad, es necesario compararlos con un barco que pasa. En las fotos de abajo, se ve a Frank Ryan (hermano del Sr. Rosemary) en su barco cerca de un iceberg en Trinity Bay, NL.

Es peligroso acercarse demasiado a los icebergs en barco, ya que no se sabe cuándo se romperán y formarán icebergs más pequeños que se volcarán y provocarán peligrosas olas.

El cambio climático puede reducir estas maravillosas vistas en el futuro con el deshielo del Ártico y el calentamiento de nuestros océanos. Pero esperamos seguir disfrutando de ellos en los años venideros, ya que siguen siendo una atracción no sólo para los turistas, sino también para los residentes locales, que se emocionan con su llegada.

 

Canadian Multiculturism Day – June 27

In 1971 the Government of Canada adopted Multiculturalism as an official policy, the first country in the world to do so. In 1982 multiculturalism was recognized as part of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. In 2002 the Government designated June 27 as Canadian Multiculturism Day, a day to honor the multicultural fabric of our country.

The Census of 2021 reported that Canada has over 450 ethnic and cultural origins by participants. This day calls us to recognize and embrace these diverse cultures that have helped to build a strong and vibrant Canadian society. It is also a time to celebrate the many significant contributions that Canadians of different cultural backgrounds have made to our society.

En 1971, el Gobierno de Canadá adoptó el multiculturalismo como política oficial, siendo el primer país del mundo en hacerlo. En 1982 el multiculturalismo fue reconocido como parte de la Carta Canadiense de Derechos y Libertades. En 2002 el Gobierno designó el 27 de junio como Día Canadiense del Multiculturalismo, un día para honrar el tejido multicultural de nuestro país.

El Censo de 2021 informó de que Canadá tiene más de 450 orígenes étnicos y culturales por participantes. Este día nos llama a reconocer y abrazar estas diversas culturas que han ayudado a construir una sociedad canadiense fuerte y vibrante. También es un momento para celebrar las muchas contribuciones significativas que los canadienses de diferentes orígenes culturales han hecho a nuestra sociedad.

 

Remembering our Newfoundland Mercy Story 18:
Sr Joseph Nugent on her Anniversary – June 17, 1847

On June 17 we remember a true Mercy heroine –Sister M. Joseph Nugent, who died on this day in 1847. Sister M. Joseph was the lone companion of Sister M. Francis Creedon from the time of the departure of Sisters Ursula and M. Rose in November of 1843 until her untimely death in 1847.

These two great women of Mercy faithfully carried out the works of Mercy as if there were dozens of sisters in the Newfoundland Mercy community – continuing in school and visiting the sick and poverty-stricken in their homes and in St. John’s Hospital (located near present-day Victoria Park). In June of 1947 when St. John’s was in the throes of a severe typhus epidemic, they closed school and devoted themselves entirely to visiting and caring for the sick. It was at St. John’s Hospital that Sister M. Joseph caught the dreaded fever from a young seaman who was suffering great physical and spiritual anguish. Despite the medical services of physicians and the loving care of Sister M. Francis, Sister M. Joseph died after two weeks of suffering the torments of the disease. She was 48 years of age and had only been a Sister of Mercy for four years.

In The Newfoundlander of June 24, 1847, we read of her as follows:

in the whole community it would be difficult to point to a life of more importance to the spiritual and temporal interests of the  juvenile portion of our Catholic population, while to the more matured as well as to the sick and infirm of both sexes, her devotedness in administering to the comforts of the diseased whether of mind or body, could only be surpassed by the untiring assiduity in which her heart and soul were engaged.

We are blessed to have had such a faith-filled, trusting and mission-focused woman as Sister M. Joseph Nugent.  We thank God for her and for our many Mercy ancestorsfor the wonderful legacy of Mercy that we have inherited.

El 17 de junio recordamos a una verdadera heroína de la Misericordia: la Hermana M. Joseph Nugent, que murió tal día como hoy en 1847. La Hermana M. Joseph fue la única compañera de la Hermana M. Francis Creedon desde la partida de las Hermanas Ursula y M. Rose en noviembre de 1843 hasta su prematura muerte en 1847.

Estas dos grandes mujeres de la Misericordia llevaron a cabo fielmente las obras de Misericordia como si hubiera docenas de hermanas en la comunidad de la Misericordia de Terranova – continuando en la escuela y visitando a los enfermos y pobres en sus casas y en el Hospital de San Juan (situado cerca del actual Victoria Park). En junio de 1947, cuando St. John’s estaba sumida en una grave epidemia de tifus, cerraron la escuela y se dedicaron por completo a visitar y cuidar a los enfermos. Fue en el hospital St. John’s donde la hermana M. Joseph contrajo la temida fiebre de un joven marino que sufría una gran angustia física y espiritual. A pesar de los servicios médicos de los doctores y de los cariñosos cuidados de la Hermana M. Francis, la Hermana M. Joseph murió después de dos semanas de sufrir los tormentos de la enfermedad. Tenía 48 años y sólo llevaba cuatro como Hermana de la Misericordia.

En The Newfoundlander del 24 de junio de 1847, leemos de ella lo siguiente:

... en toda la comunidad sería difícil señalar una vida de más importancia para los intereses espirituales y temporales de la porción juvenil de nuestra población católica, mientras que para los más maduros, así como para los enfermos de ambos sexos, su devoción en la administración de las comodidades de los enfermos ya sea de mente o cuerpo, sólo podría ser superada por la incansable asiduidad en la que su corazón y alma estaban comprometidos.

Somos bendecidos por haber tenido una mujer tan llena de fe, confiada y centrada en la misión como la Hermana M. Joseph Nugent. Damos gracias a Dios por ella y por nuestros muchos antepasados de la Misericordia por el maravilloso legado de la Misericordia que hemos heredado.

 

Anniversary of Arrival of Sisters of Mercy in St. John’s
– 3 June 1842

June 3,1842 marks the beginning of a wonderful story – a story of deep faith, abiding trust, courageous action and steadfast commitment.

Arrival of Mercy Sisters on the ship Sir Walter Scott in St John’s Harbour, 3 June 1842

On that day, three young Irish women Sisters Francis CreedonUrsula Frayne and Rose Lynch  arrived in St. John’s to establish a mission that would overcome almost insurmountable difficulties to root Mercy in harsh Newfoundland soil. We thank God for these women of Mercy as we continue to journey in their footsteps.

  • Join us in prayer of gratitude today using this reflection
  • Learn more about that first foundation here

 

El 3 de junio de 1842 marca el comienzo de una historia maravillosa – una historia de fe profunda, confianza permanente, acción valiente y compromiso firme.

Ese día, tres jóvenes irlandesas, las Hermanas Francis Creedon, Ursula Frayne y Rose Lynch, llegaron a St. John’s para establecer una misión que superaría dificultades casi insuperables para arraigar la Misericordia en el duro suelo de Terranova. Damos gracias a Dios por estas mujeres de la Misericordia mientras seguimos caminando tras sus huellas.

  • Únete hoy a nosotras en oración de gratitud usando esta reflexión
  • Aprende más sobre esa primera fundación aquí

Remembering Our Newfoundland Mercy Story 17:
Sister M. Patrick O’Farrell

Margaret O’Farrell was born in County Tipperary in November of 1841, the only daughter of Mary and Patrick O’Farrell. She arrived in St. John’s on March 17,1865 to enter the Sisters of Mercy. 

At her reception into the Novitiate on August 2 of that same year she received the name Sister Mary Patrick Ligouri. A local newspaper, The Newfoundlander, in its August 3,1865 issue, reported on her Reception Ceremony, noting that a couple of her brothers “our respected townsmen, the Messrs. Farrell” had emigrated to Newfoundland from Ireland and were well established in the business community of St. John’s by the time their sister arrived.

After her profession, Sister M. Patrick spent most of her religious life teaching at St. Bridget’s School in the east end of St. John’s and at St. Peter’s School on Queen Street. Both of these schools were under the care of the Sisters at Mercy Convent and the sisters would have made the daily walk to and from school in all kinds of weathers.

In August of 1884 Sister M. Patrick’s niece, Mary O’Farrell (later known as Sister Genevieve) arrived in St. John’s to enter the Sisters of Mercy. Sister M. Patrick had left Ireland before Mary had been born. Sadly, the two had little opportunity to spend much time with one another, as Sister M. Patrick died on May 10, 1885. Her obituary notice in The Evening Telegram of May 18 1885 speaks of her as follows:

                      She ministered consolation to many a poor sick  death-stricken family,
as well as imparted the gift of
 a religious education
to the destitute and the poor.

Margaret O’Farrell nació en el condado de Tipperary en noviembre de 1841, hija única de Mary y Patrick O’Farrell. Llegó a St. John’s el 17 de marzo de 1865 para ingresar en las Hermanas de la Misericordia.

En su recepción en el noviciado, el 2 de agosto de ese mismo año, recibió el nombre de Hermana Mary Patrick Ligouri. Un periódico local, The Newfoundlander, en su edición del 3 de agosto de 1865, informó sobre su ceremonia de recepción, señalando que un par de sus hermanos “nuestros respetados vecinos, los señores Farrell” habían emigrado a Terranova desde Irlanda y estaban bien establecidos en la comunidad empresarial de St.

Después de su profesión, la hermana M. Patrick pasó la mayor parte de su vida religiosa enseñando en la escuela de Santa Brígida, en el extremo este de San Juan, y en la escuela de San Pedro, en Queen Street. Ambas escuelas estaban bajo el cuidado de las Hermanas del Convento de la Misericordia y las hermanas habrían hecho la caminata diaria hacia y desde la escuela en todo tipo de climas.

En agosto de 1884, la sobrina de la Hermana M. Patrick, Mary O’Farrell (más tarde conocida como la Hermana Genevieve) llegó a St. La Hermana M. Patrick había dejado Irlanda antes de que naciera Mary. Lamentablemente, las dos tuvieron pocas oportunidades de pasar mucho tiempo juntas, ya que la Hermana M. Patrick murió el 10 de mayo de 1885. Su nota necrológica en The Evening Telegram del 18 de mayo de 1885 habla de ella de la siguiente manera:

Consoló a muchas familias pobres, enfermas y afligidas por la muerte,
así como impartió el don de una educación religiosa
a los indigentes y a los pobres.

History of The Gathering Place

Who We Are – A Safe Refuge

Since their arrival in Newfoundland and Labrador in the 1800s, the Sisters of Mercy and the Presentation Sisters have endeavoured to respond to the needs of people most underserved and at risk in the community. In 1994, they established The Gathering Place in downtown St. John’s in response to an increasing number of people who were seeking food in a safe and inclusive place. As The Gathering Place Guests sought additional support, programs and services were added.

The Gathering Place

In 2010, a strategic planning initiative led to a major renovation financed by the two Congregations, government, and public and private sector donations. This renovated space includes a social room and other supportive health and social services including a laundry, a clothing boutique, showers, access to housing and transportation, education, and dental and health care. Demand for the services continues to grow exponentially. The Gathering Place is now open seven days a week and provides three meals a day as well as a variety of health and social programs.

In October 2020, in response to the growing needs of individuals who were homeless or precariously housed and in partnership with the provincial government, The Gathering Place opened a 30-bed temporary low barrier shelter. The shelter is a safe place for Guests who have nowhere else to go. Most nights, the temporary shelter is at full capacity. In partnership with the federal and provincial governments and with generous private donations and the generosity of the Sisters of Mercy, the former Mercy Convent is now being developed as Mercy House to include a permanent shelter (O’Callaghan Haven) and supportive and transitional housing.

As the numbers of persons who are homeless or at risk of being homeless grow and their social and health needs increase, the Gathering Place has become a special place for even more Guests. The building that once served a hot bowl of soup has now transformed into an active vibrant community health centre, responding to health needs of Guests with an awareness of the influence of social, economic, and environmental factors on health outcomes and health equity. This is a place where people come when they have nowhere else to go; where they find a safe place to sit, eat, shower or talk; where they gather without judgment and without fear. Day after day, those who are most at risk find a safe refuge at The Gathering Place.

Global Irish Famine Way Project

On May 10, 2024, in St. John’s, Newfoundland, the Basilica Heritage Foundation Inc. and the Embassy of Ireland in Canada hosted two events open to the general public at St. John the Baptist Cathedral Basilica Parish to launch the Global Irish Famine Way Commemorations and celebrate the arrival of the Bronze Shoe monuments in Canada.

The Ambassador of Ireland to Canada, Jamaica, the Bahamas, Antigua and Barbuda (His Excellency, Dr. Eamonn McKee) spoke at both events.

On Friday, May 10th, 11:00 the Bronze Shoes were brought to the St John’s Basilica for a national commemorative event and the installation of the first Canadian pair of Bronze Shoes. This event included an ecumenical prayer service of thanksgiving for all who gave aid to those who suffered from the Irish Potato Famine in 1847.

All are welcome to attend this event in-person or to watch the ceremony live
at www.thebasilica.net

And in the afternoon of May 10th, the general public was invited to attend a historical symposium in the Basilica on the events of 1847 and associated links between Ireland and Canada.

The ecumenical service was livestreamed. Watch it below.

The Bronze Shoes will remain on display for visitors at the Basilica with information panels and associated exhibits.

Find out more about this global project here

 

El 10 de mayo de 2024, en St. John’s, Terranova, la Basilica Heritage Foundation Inc. y la Embajada de Irlanda en Canadá organizarán dos actos abiertos al público en general en la Parroquia Basílica de la Catedral de St. John the Baptist para poner en marcha las Conmemoraciones de la Vía Mundial de la Hambruna Irlandesa y celebrar la llegada de los monumentos Zapatos de Bronce a Canadá.

El Embajador de Irlanda en Canadá, Jamaica, Bahamas, Antigua y Barbuda (Su Excelencia, el Dr. Eamonn McKee) intervendrá en ambos actos.

El viernes 10 de mayo, a las 11:00 horas, los Zapatos de Bronce serán llevados a la Basílica de San Juan para un acto conmemorativo nacional y la instalación del primer par canadiense de Zapatos de Bronce. Este acto incluye un servicio ecuménico de oración de acción de gracias por todos los que prestaron ayuda a los que sufrieron la hambruna irlandesa de la patata en 1847.

Todos están invitados a asistir a este acto en persona o a seguir la ceremonia en directo en www.thebasilica.net

Y en la tarde del 10 de mayo, el público en general está invitado de nuevo a asistir a un simposio histórico en la Basílica sobre los acontecimientos de 1847 y los vínculos asociados entre Irlanda y Canadá. Este acto también se retransmitirá en directo en www.thebasilica.net

Las Botas de Bronce permanecerán expuestas para los visitantes en la Basílica con paneles informativos y exposiciones asociadas.

Más información sobre este proyecto mundial

Remembering Our Newfoundland Mercy Story 16:
Sister M. de Camillus Cole

Susanna Cole, born in Colliers, Conception Bay, Newfoundland entered the Sisters of Mercy on Military Road, St. John’s in March of 1857.

She was received into the novitiate and given the name Sister M. Camillus Joseph on the feast of Our Lady of Mercy in the same year. Her novitiate companions were Sister M. Ligouri Carmody and Sister M. Ignatius Guinane, two young women from Limerick, Ireland, along with another Newfoundlander, Sister M. Clare Tarrahan, who haentered the community a year earlier.

In 1857, with four professed sisters and four novices, the future of the fledgling Mercy Convent in Newfoundland looked very promising, and plans for expanding the mission were on the move. In 1859 the sisters opened St. Michael’s Convent and Orphanage at Belvedere and in 1861 used the space made possible by the move to open St. Clair’s Boarding School at Mercy Convent.

Sadly, the newly professed Sister M. Camillus died on April 13, 1860 at the young age of twenty-one years. Her dowry was used to erect headstones for her and Sister M. Francis Creedon in Belvedere cemetery. A section of the Belvedere estate had been consecrated in 1848 by Bishop Thomas Mullock, then coadjutor bishop of St. John’s, as a Roman Catholic cemetery, replacing the old Catholic cemetery on Long’s Hill.

Susanna Cole, nacida en Colliers, Conception Bay, Terranova, ingresó en las Hermanas de la Misericordia en Military Road, San Juan, en marzo de 1857.

Fue recibida en el noviciado y se le dio el nombre de Hermana M. Camillus Joseph en la fiesta de Nuestra Señora de la Misericordia del mismo año. Sus compañeras de noviciado fueron Sor M. Ligouri Carmody y Sor M. Ignatius Guinane, dos jóvenes de Limerick, Irlanda, junto con otra terranova, Sor M. Clare Tarrahan, que había entrado en la comunidad un año antes.

En 1857, con cuatro hermanas profesas y cuatro novicias, el futuro del incipiente Convento de la Misericordia en Terranova parecía muy prometedor, y los planes para ampliar la misión estaban en marcha. En 1859 las hermanas abrieron el Convento y Orfanato de San Miguel en Belvedere y en 1861 utilizaron el espacio que había hecho posible el traslado para abrir el Internado de San Clair en el Convento de la Misericordia.

Lamentablemente, la recién profesa Hermana M. Camillus murió el 13 de abril de 1860 a la temprana edad de veintiún años. Su dote se utilizó para erigir lápidas para ella y la hermana M. Francis Creedon en el cementerio de Belvedere. Una sección de la finca de Belvedere había sido consagrada en 1848 por el obispo Thomas Mullock, entonces obispo coadjutor de St. John’s, como cementerio católico romano, en sustitución del antiguo cementerio católico de Long’s Hill.

Remembering Our Newfoundland Mercy Story 15:
Sister M. de Chantal O’Keeffe

Mary Ellen O’Keeffe was born in Cork on November 16, 1838. While yet nineteen years old, she and five other young women from Cork arrived in St. John’s in May of 1858 to join the Sisters of Mercy. The Reception ceremony for the five, presided over by Bishop John T. Mullock in October of 1858, was the first of its kind to be held in the newly consecrated Cathedral of St. John the Baptist.

Mary Ellen’s religious name was Sister Mary de Chantal, a name that became legendary over her nearly sixty years of Mercy ministry in Newfoundland. In September 1961, less than a year after her Profession of Vows, Sister M. de Chantal went to Brigus as a member of that founding community. In 1866 she became Superior of Mercy Convent in St. John’s, the second sister to hold that position since the death of Sister Francis Creedon. During her time of office, two new Mercy foundations were established – Conception Harbour and Petty Harbour. In 1861 she went to Burin as Superior of St. Anne’s Convent.

But it was at St. Michael’s Convent, Belvedere that Sister M. de Chantal found her true home and where she spent most of her life.  As Superior in the late 1880s she oversaw the construction of the modern brick orphanage, but the huge debt accrued became a great source of stress and anxiety for her and her sisters.  With few possibilities for funding in Newfoundland, the ingenious and resourceful Sister M. de Chantal and her companion, Sister M. Ignatius Guinane travelled to the United States, where they already had contacts, to seek the needed assistance. The bishops of Boston, Brooklyn and Philadelphia facilitated their access to Newfoundlanders living in their dioceses and the response to their plea was overwhelming. The Daily News of April 22, 1927 records that the sisters returned, delighted with the success of their endeavor and “carrying golden dollars in exchange for the golden impressions they life behind.”

Sister M. de Chantal died on April 5, 1927 at the age of 88. The newsletter of Our Lady of Mercy Academy, Inter Nos of May 1927, gives a glimpse of the esteem in which she was held by sisters, students and the wider community:

                  The limited confines of her convent walls could not narrow her broad mind,
                  while her large generous Irish heart but grew and expanded with her years,
           and in it she seemed to find place for everyone… with increasing years she
          seemed to grow more forgetful of self and more concerned for the happiness
         and comfort of those around her.

 

Mary Ellen O’Keeffe nació en Cork el 16 de noviembre de 1838. Cuando aún tenía diecinueve años, ella y otras cinco jóvenes de Cork llegaron a St. John’s en mayo de 1858 para unirse a las Hermanas de la Misericordia. La ceremonia de recepción de las cinco, presidida por el obispo John T. Mullock en octubre de 1858, fue la primera de este tipo que se celebró en la recién consagrada catedral de San Juan Bautista.

El nombre religioso de Mary Ellen era Sor Mary de Chantal, un nombre que se hizo legendario a lo largo de sus casi sesenta años de ministerio de la Misericordia en Terranova. En septiembre de 1961, menos de un año después de su Profesión de Votos, la Hermana M. de Chantal fue a Brigus como miembro de esa comunidad fundadora. En 1866 se convirtió en Superiora del Convento de la Misericordia en St. John’s, la segunda hermana en ocupar ese cargo desde la muerte de la Hermana Francis Creedon. Durante su mandato se crearon dos nuevas fundaciones de la Misericordia: Conception Harbour y Petty Harbour. En 1861 fue a Burin como superiora del convento de Santa Ana.

Pero fue en el convento de San Miguel de Belvedere donde la hermana M. de Chantal encontró su verdadero hogar y donde pasó la mayor parte de su vida. Como superiora, a finales de la década de 1880, supervisó la construcción del moderno orfanato de ladrillo, pero la enorme deuda acumulada se convirtió en una gran fuente de estrés y ansiedad para ella y sus hermanas. Con pocas posibilidades de financiación en Terranova, la ingeniosa e ingeniosa hermana M. de Chantal y su compañera, la hermana M. Ignatius Guinane viajaron a Estados Unidos, donde ya tenían contactos, para buscar la ayuda necesaria. Los obispos de Boston, Brooklyn y Filadelfia les facilitaron el acceso a los habitantes de Terranova que vivían en sus diócesis y la respuesta a su petición fue abrumadora. El Daily News del 22 de abril de 1927 recoge que las hermanas regresaron, encantadas con el éxito de su empresa y “portando dólares de oro a cambio de las doradas impresiones que dejaron a su paso”.

La hermana M. de Chantal falleció el 5 de abril de 1927 a la edad de 88 años. El boletín de la Academia de Nuestra Señora de la Merced, Inter Nos, de mayo de 1927, da una idea de la estima que le tenían las hermanas, las alumnas y la comunidad en general:

                            Los limitados confines de los muros de su convento no pudieron estrechar su amplia mente,
                            mientras que su gran y generoso corazón irlandés crecía y se expandía con los años,
                            y en él parecía encontrar lugar para todos… con el paso de los años parecía
                           parecía olvidarse más de sí misma y preocuparse más por la felicidad de los demás.

 

Documentary “They Came for the Children”

“They Came for the Children” is a 5-part documentary based on the residential schools in Canada and the final report of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, which was completed in 2015.

The documentary is the work of film maker, Kevin Moynihan with the financial help of a number of religious orders in Canada. Our congregation has contributed to his work over the years.

In a commentary on this series, Father Peter Bisson, SJ wrote: It is a very good tool to educate people about the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s mission … The film gently and soberly introduces Canadians, including Christian Canadians, to these little – known dark sides of our story  and how they have shaped and harmed our life as a country …

The five segments of the film can be accessed here