Today, women shaped and inspired by the vision of Catherine McAuley carry out Mercy ministry in Newfoundland and Labrador and in Peru in a variety of ways.
They minister not only in urban areas but also in many rural communities of our province and in Peru; one sister lives in Ontario.
The Congregation has established a Centre for Ecology and Justice which promotes and raises awareness as well as calls to action in areas related to the ecological and justice issues that concern our twenty-first century world at home and abroad.
Together Sisters of Mercy of Newfoundland make a commitment to alleviate injustice and to continue to reach out in compassion and service to the poor and oppressed, especially to women. We seek to do this through our continued presence to the sick, elderly, poor, prisoners and the marginalized. Our Congregation also ministers through our sponsorship and contributions to numerous programs and projects, not only in our province and in Peru but also in the wider global community.
CHAPTER STATEMENT (2017)
Mercying into the future…Misericordiando hacia el futuro…, the call of the 21st General Chapter (2017), impels us to a contemplative and intentional response to the cry of Earth and the cry of the poor as one.
We commit ourselves to be a visible presence of Mercy locally and globally by:
- embracing a culture of compassion as the core of our legacy of Mercy;
- listening contemplatively and responding to needs as they arise in community and in ministry;
- striving to be a spiritual and ethical voice in all our individual and collaborative efforts.
LA DECLARACIÓN DEL CAPITULO (2017)
Misericordiando hacia el futuro…Mercying into the future…, el llamado del Capitulo General vigésimo primero (2017), nos impulsa a dar una respuesta contemplativa y decisiva al clamor de la Tierra y al clamor de los pobres que es un solo clamor.
Nos comprometemos a ser una presencia visible de la Misericordia a nivel local y global:
- abrazando una cultura de compasión que es el centro de nuestro legado de la Misericordia;
- escuchando de una manera contemplativa y respondiendo a las necesidades que surgen en la comunidad y en el ministerio;
- tratando de ser una voz espiritual y ética en todos nuestros esfuerzos tanto individuales como en colaboración con otros.