The pastor, Fr. Pat Power, and parishioners of Sts. Peter and Paul Parish, Bay Bulls expressed gratitude and appreciation to Sister Patricia Gallant and to the Sisters of Mercy in the Eucharistic celebration of July 24, 2010. Over thirty sisters joined the worshipping community for the special event.
Patricia retired this year from teaching in the schools attended by children from Bay Bulls. She is the last Sister of Mercy to teach in the school system in Newfoundland, at least at this point in time. Since 1842 when the first Sisters of Mercy arrived on this island from Dublin, education was one of the dominant ministries of Sister of Mercy. Patricia’s retirement from her position marks the end of an era.
In his few words John O’Brien, a parishioner, thanked Sister Patricia for her ministry in the school and in the parish community of Bay Bulls. He thanked the Sisters of Mercy, especially those who ministered in Bay Bulls since 1921 when St. Patrick’s Convent was founded there.
Sisters Ann Normore and Patricia Gallant continue to reside in Bay Bulls and continue to minister there in various areas, especially in the music ministry of the parish. Sister Elizabeth Davis received a plaque of appreciation and in turn said a few words of gratitude emphasizing the faithful support and collaboration of the people of Bay Bulls. She also thanked the people for the gift of so many of their women who became Sisters of Mercy.
A pleasant and generous table, full of delicious food, had been prepared and served after Mass in the adjoining hall.