St. Clare’s Mercy Hospital

LeMarchant  Road, St. John’s NL A1C 5B5

Historical Highlights

1913 “White House” purchased from the Honorable E. M. Jackman to be operated by the Sisters of Mercy as a home for working girls

St Clare’s 1916

1921 The “White House” was renovated to serve as a hospital. Archbishop E.P. Roche laid plans for the improvement whish included sending a Sister of Mercy to Mercy Hospital in Pittsburg to train as a nurse

1922 May 21 St. Clare’s Mercy Hospital was officially opened to care for 23 patients Sister Mary Bernard Gladney, graduate nurse, was appointed Superintendent.  The following year Sister Mary Aloysius Rawlins took on the position of superintendant

1939 New modern 100 bed building opened west of the “White House” on LeMarchant Road
St. Clare’s Mercy Hospital School of Nursing was opened with accommodations for the students in a duplex house next to the hospital

1941 First Graduation of St. Clare’s Nursing School- five graduates

1950 Opening of a large chapel and additional facilities for pediatric, obstetric and dietary services
–   Our Lady of Lourdes window installed on chapel corridor in memory of Sister Mary Aloysius Rawlins who had been administrator of St. Clare’s for over twenty years.

1956 Board of Governors and Medical Advisory Committee established

1958 Our Lady of Lourdes Hall opened to accommodate 100 nursing students

1959 St. Clare’s granted its first full accreditation by Canadian Council on Hospital Accreditation

1960  St. Clare’s was incorporated

1962 Opening of New wing on St. Clare Avenue to provide accommodation for 100 additional patients

1967 St. Clare’s Mercy Hospital Auxiliary set up.  Mrs. Joan Parker Crosbie was first President

1963 Planning begun for another extension of hospital. 1968 Recognition as teaching hospital affiliated with Memorial University

1972 Golden Anniversary of the opening of St. Clare’s. New wing officially opened. Hospital population now increased to 300 patients

1975 Department of Pastoral Care established. Sister M. Carmelita Power appointed as Director

1978 Talbot House, a Residential Detoxification Center was opened on Deanery Avenue

1979 First Palliative Care Unit east of Montreal opened. The unit was transferred to the Leonard A. Miller Centre in 2002

1984 St. Clare’s was selected as one of ten test sites for a national computerized information management project

1985 Establishment of St. Clare’s Mercy Hospital Foundation
–   Computers were introduced- Meditech system for patient information

1994 St. Clare’s sold to provincial government and incorporated into Health Care Corporation of St. John’s, 1995
–    Opening of LeMarchant House, a mental health day program/centre

1995 St. Clare’s Mercy Hospital Advisory Council was established to foster Mission, Values and Ethics

2004 Sisters of Mercy donated a ceramic mural “For Mercy Has a Human Heart” placed in the front entrance. Artist – Gerald Squires

2005 Eastern Health, Regional Authority established for administration of all health care services in Avalon, Burin and Bonavista Peninsulas, including St. Clare’s